Reviews of Chelsea Playgroups
Violet Melchett Family Centre
30 Flood Street, SW3 5RR, 0207 349 2800
- Great family centre located just off flood street, near The King’s Road
- Wonderfully resourced, nursery quality equipment
- Amazing outdoor area for toddlers and a gated, covered area for babies
- Tube: Sloane Sqaure, South Kensington
- Bus:C1, 360, 11, 19, 22, 211, 319
I have only been to the toddler drop in, but The Violett Melchett Centre is a great place to take children. The building is entirely dedicated to family services and is push chair friendly. You leave your push chair in the near-by courtyard and are able to keep an eye on it from the indoor playroom.
The playroom has a home corner, a library, quality blocks, beads, etc.
Further, the Centre is just a short walk away from the recently redone St. Luke’s Playground where there are plenty of picnic tables if you take a lunch.
Chelsea Methodist Church, service provided by West London Action for Children at 155a King’s Road, SW3 5TX, 0207 352 9305 ext 27, Wednesdays 11 – 2:30, lunch served, free
- Super convenient location
- Very friendly, informed and supportive staff
- Buggy park downstairs from the group, there is a lift, or, two flights walk up
- free lunch provided
- Lovely, bright and varied playroom
- Good changing facilities and toilets
- Tube: Sloane Sq, South Kensington
- Bus: 49, 19, 22, 319, 11, 360
This is a wonderful playgroup right in the middle of The King’s Road, excellent if you have shopping to do.
The group has lovely, knowledgeable volunteers who can put you in touch with other activities and resources in the community.
Varied and pleasant, the playroom has a book area, ball pit, sand tray, art area in addition to lots of interesting and nicely looked after toys. Lunch is prepared and served at 12pm, you can bring your own or enjoy a wholesome meal prepared for you.
When you enter the church, you leave your buggy in the entryway, but there is a receptionist who monitors who comes and goes, so there are a set of eyes on your buggy. After you park the buggy, you may take a lift to the playroom or walk up a long flight of stairs.
After a play at the Jigsaw Club you can wander through the shops and then to St. Luke’s Playground for a lovely day of shopping and playing.
ABC Club Parent and Toddler Group, Christ Church Chelsea, Flood Street, SW3 4ASThursdays 10 – 11:30, free
- Good space for younger children
- Few steps, bring your buggy right into the church, where the group is held
- Coffee and tea
- Not a great space for two children
- Tube: Sloane Square or South Kensington
- Bus: 19, 22, 11, 319, 170
This is one of the best places to meet families in SW3. This group has nannies, but also lots of mums. The Associate Vicar, Joe Moffatt, will be leaving to be instated as a Vicar in Teddington. He gave the group such a gentle vibe, it is sad to see him leave, but happy for him to move on to greater challenges.
The group begins with a free play and refreshments, moves on to a story and songs. The space is not very large, so there are no riding toys for the bigger children, but there is plenty to keep them occupied, regardless.
This is a must-see for anyone eager to meet local mums in SW3Tweet